Friday, March 29, 2013

Starting the home stretch


It seems that we have fallen off the wagon of keeping an updated blog, so in an attempt to not totally abandon the effort, I thought I would write a bit.

I can hardly believe that I just submitted my third quarter grades.  That means that we are down to the last marking period, and the fight to keep kids' attention is in full swing.   The year has flown by.  Travis and I have both had amazing groups of students this year, and we are incredibly grateful to be able to spend our days with these kids. 

Travis coached the robotics team at Austin, and his fourth graders made it to the regional tournament.  They brought home a few trophies after beating out a number of 8th grade teams.  I was super impressed, and the kids were super pumped. 
The Tournament

The Trophy


College Park, my school, has a world renowned robotics program, and I have absolutely nothing to do with it.  I stick to teaching Spanish and cheering my students on at their sporting events. 

The state STAAR writing tests are next week, and Travis has been working all year to prepare the kids for these exams.  They have made a ton of progress as writers, and last Thursday they had, “Camp Write Along.”  You can see Travis singing below.  Pray for his students as they take these tests.  Sometimes 4th graders and 4 hours writing exams result in mini meltdowns.   


Looking back over this year, I feel like God has given us tons of opportunities to speak into the lives of these kids.  Whether it be dating advice with the older ones or consoling the younger kids when they are having a hard time, Travis and I see the ways God is working here. I know that the jobs we have here are a gift not to be taken for granted. 

Although we have no idea what the future holds, we are embracing being here now. 

Spring Break in Savannah with Justin and Julie



My newish really good friend Jennie who is a missionary in Mexico came to visit last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment